Looking for a career at OPC’s Family of Companies? See below for a list of current positions available.
This position leads the developing of internal audit function across all our related entities. Must be a self-starter, result oriented and capable of working independently. Responsibilities include creating and implementing audit, risk, and compliance programs across the organization. This person will have broad exposure to the operations of the Company, interacting with leaders across Finance, Legal, HR, Operations and with our external auditor. This individual must possess the skills to understand business processes, assess the control environment, implement process improvements, and champion best practices. The position will be responsible for implementing the process documentation and testing along with communicating findings and recommendations to local and corporate management. Research, communication and collaboration skills will be instrumental to the success of this role.
- Lead on the development and implementation of principles, programs and tools for the audit areas within Accounting and Compliance.
- Gain understanding of finance and compliance related processes, perform risk-based audit testing, and prepare audit work-papers and reports.
- Execute special investigations and process improvements on ad-hoc basis.
- Draft high quality audit findings tailored to specific needs of the entity in a timely manner.
- Discuss and present draft findings to both local and corporate management.
- Perform requested follow-up procedures as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in either Finance or Accounting
- 5+ years of experience in general accounting or finance related field.
- 2 years of auditing experience
- Knowledge of accounting principles (US GAAP, Controlling, and/or Corporate Finance matters).
- Ability to think analytically and grasp complex structures; conceptual skills, applying critical thinking.
- High degree of integrity, high initiative, and professional judgment.
- Skillful in Microsoft Office products (e.g. Excel, Word, etc.) and ability to learn new software.
- Good communication skills with strong reasoning;
- High flexibility and willingness to travel up 40%, primarily within Washington, Oregon & Idaho.
- CPA and/or CIA or equivalent professional credential is a plus.
Responsible for supporting an accurate and timely month-end close process, preparing stand-alone and consolidated financial statements, schedules and related analysis, and assisting with quarterly and annual external reporting to the Securities and Exchange Commission. Strong accounting, financial reporting and analytical skills are critical, as this position will be assisting in the preparation of various financial reports and analysis for executive management, as well as in the preparation of Management’s Discussion and Analysis, consolidated financial statements and footnote disclosures included in the Company’s Form 10-Q and Form 10-K.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITES
- Support accurate and timely month-end, quarter-end and year-end close to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Consolidate financial information for all business units and prepare monthly financial statements and schedules.
- Prepare monthly balance sheet, income statement and cash flow analytics for management through collaboration with the Accounting and Finance teams.
- Prepare monthly corporate overhead allocations; ensure inter-company balances and activity are properly eliminated.
- Assist in overseeing the external quarterly reviews and annual audit, ensuring requested items and follow-up requests are addressed properly and timely.
- Maintain Company-wide accounting policies and procedures to ensure compliance with US GAAP.
- Assist with Sarbanes-Oxley documentation and control testing.
- Participate in preparation of quarterly and annual SEC filings, including preparation of consolidated financial statements and footnote disclosures.
- Assist with technical accounting research, analysis and documentation for significant accounting matters.
- Prepare ad hoc financial statements and schedules as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to this position, or needed to meet company needs. Additional initiatives are identified in the Company’s performance appraisal process.
- Responsible for full-cycle accounting and processing.
- Manage and/or monitor all primary financial systems to ensure that the business unit books and records are accurately maintained in accordance with company policies, GAAP, and International accounting standards. Responsibilities also include monitoring the business unit’s income statements and balance sheets.
- Lead and manage the reporting and planning activities for the business i.e., actual financial performance management indicators, annual budgets, 5-year plans, Crop Reviews and latest estimates. These planning functions will be completed interactively with the business leadership team and outside business partners as necessary.
- Manage and/or monitor all inventories and costing systems to ensure historical accuracy and consistency according to company policies, provide direction in assuring effective inventory utilization in accordance with the business unit’s strategic plan and evaluating/challenging inventory costs that may impact financial results.
- Establish and maintain financial control and stewardship over the assets of the business unit by providing financial support concerning risk management, physical asset controls, debt and creditors, currency exposure and business practices.
- Serve as a member of the leadership team and coordinate projects to improve business unit financial performance. Based upon benchmarking and analysis, take the lead in determining which areas require improvement and what activities should be initiated to successfully achieve targeted improvement.
- Evaluate compliance with operating and personnel expenditures, and institute measures required to achieve company profit measures.
- Plan, direct, evaluate, and motivate assigned staff; assist with individual development, including setting personal and business objectives; may assist in recruiting, interviewing, and hiring of new employees.
- Investigate and resolve issues involving other divisions to assure timely assessment of information to maximize productivity and support to all functions.
- Work closely with business partners and external auditors, in providing needed information related to business operations.
Financial management principles; corporate fiduciary obligations and reporting requirements; consumer products industry and supply chain management principles; Federal, State, and local laws, professional standards and regulations regarding accounting and financial practices, and employee benefit plans; information technology applications; principles of contract administration; management reporting standards; research methods and techniques.
Work in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment. Ability to effectively operate a personal computer and other standard office equipment utilizing a variety of software applications to meet the requirements of the job. Ability to plan, organize, delegate and adjust work load to meet priorities. Ability to oversee a range of administrative programs and train, supervise and evaluate the work of assigned staff. Ability to plan, establish and evaluate the attainment of departmental goals and objectives. Ability to analyze relevant industry trends and company developments. Ability to analyze complex and changing business factors, evaluate alternatives and recommend effective courses of action; develop and implement goals, objectives, policies, procedures and management controls; exercise independent judgment and initiative within general policy guidelines. Ability to review and approve budgetary and financial decisions. Ability to prepare clear and comprehensive records, reports, budgets, etc. Ability to communicate well with all levels of the company both in writing, orally, and through presentations.
Education: B.A./B.S. in finance, accounting, business administration, or closely related field. Graduate-level education in finance and/or Certified Public Accountant (C.P.A.) designation is desirable. Coursework and/or training in strategic planning, auditing, contracts administration, project management is desirable.
Experience: 4 – 6 years of progressive experience of financial reporting and accounting management with general administrative/professional experience related to finance, inventory management, contracts management, and audit. 2 – 3 years of supervisory or management experience is desirable.
Special Requirements: This position requires occasional travel and a valid driver’s license.
The Business Analyst/Project Manager will facilitate assigned projects by serving as a liaison between users and developers, implementing and setting up systems, setting and communicating goals, and evaluating and refining results. The Business Analyst/Project Manager will also support existing software systems including training and requested modifications.
- Collaborates with business staff to thoroughly understand the needs to be supported by the information systems and technology.
- Determines how changes to the project will affect the business and systems.
- Provides recommendations regarding the evolution of the system.
- Responds to inquiries and provides advice to the client regarding current and potential system inputs, processes, and outputs.
- Negotiates plans and timeframes, ensuring that clients understand the anticipated result.
- Develops and communicates detailed specifications for implementation.
- Maintains and ensures proper documentation and coordinates or performs testing of system modifications.
- Creates, develops, provides, or coordinates system training, materials, and other educational tools.
- Researches and analyzes the nature, effect, and results of system difficulties.
- Acts as liaison with Information Technology and/or outside vendors to support relevant systems.
- Maintains current understanding of industry standards, trends, and best practices through industry and other professional networks.
- As Project Manager, exercises authority and responsibility for the work and schedules of consultants.
- Modifies setup of existing systems to meet the needs of the business.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Extremely proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software program.
- Extremely organized with great attention to detail.
- Excellent management skills with the ability to lead, facilitate, motivate, and organize.
- Ability to adapt to change.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to learn quickly and to creatively solve new problems.
- Ability to negotiate and settle differences quickly and peacefully.
- Ability to act as a team player.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting preferred, or Business or Information Technology.
- Prior business analyst experience, application development, Microsoft NAV/Business Central knowledge, and SQL programming is beneficial.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds at times.
The Plant Controller is responsible for the general ledger accounting, cost accounting, budgeting, forecasting, reporting, and in maintaining and developing internal controls for Washington Potato Company’s Pasco Processing facility. Develops and maintains accounting policies and procedures to ensure financial reports and other financial information and systems are accurate, in accordance with GAAP, timely, and informative. Assist other departments in process improvement, information/process flows as well as assist them in accounting related issues.
Located in Pasco, Washington, this is a manufacturing and processing plant.
The Plant Controller position requires the ability to highlight trends for management. This service oriented position functions as critical support is as a pivot point for ensuring accuracy and timeliness in satisfying day-to-day Plant and Department informational needs. In addition, this position will supervise the Inventory, accounts payable and receivable, cost and general Accountant positions.
The individual in this position will be required to manage all accounting positions and reporting to the executive team. The individual must be a quick learner to fully understand the operations of the plant to service internal reporting needs, along with having the ability to make decisions based on limited information. In addition, the individual in this position must demonstrate initiative, problem solving and be self-motivated; along with having the ability to train others. Effective working relationships and communications are key to the success of this position.
This position requires ease in adapting to quickly changing duties, responsibilities, and priorities.
Essential Job Functions
- Carries out monthly financial statement preparation and reporting.
- Will have fiduciary responsibilities.
- Provides in depth analysis and reporting of financials.
- Responsible for accurate set up of plant standard costs.
- Manage general accounting, cost accounting, accounts payable and receivable functions. This includes defining expectations, hiring, training, troubleshooting, and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Maintain effective working relationship with external vendors and service providers.
- Able to develop and maintain a system of internal controls
- Provides financial support to plant level and executive management regarding ongoing plant improvement projects.
- Recommends process improvements and works with management and staff to identify cost optimization.
- Organizes and structures the project performance and goal achievement of staff level accountants.
- Supervise the inventory, grower and general accounting positions.
- Able to follows safe work practices and policies for a manufacturing plant operating heavy machinery.
- Will perform other special projects as assigned by the executive leadership team.
- Individual should be able to pass a background check and credit history check.
Education and/or Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) in accounting or business from four-year college or university; plus five years related experience; OR equivalent combination of education, experience, and skills needed to successfully perform the essential job functions.
- Able to supervise others and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of GAAP accounting principles, policies, laws, and best practices; processes and techniques.
- Proficient with budgeting and forecasting models
- Effective oral, written communication and intrapersonal skills;
- Able to present information and respond to questions from operations management, clients, customers, and other stakeholders.
- Able to learn and understand complex computer systems and programs.
- Able to work independently, and to effectively manage and direct the work of others.
- Able to develop and maintain a system of internal controls.
- Ability to work with diverse staff to accomplish plant goals and objectives.
- Ability to effectively work on multiple assignments, while responding to frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
- Experience with manufacturing and/or agricultural accounting a plus.
- Experience with data analysis and SQL a plus
The Loss Control Representative will manage and develop loss control programs related to operating risk and insurance; researches and reports on cost effective plans to minimize loss; evaluates risk exposures, formulates preventative strategies, and trains the workforce in safety best practices; and ensures compliance with laws and regulations pertaining to loss control and workplace safety.
- Visits facilities to assess risk; prepares reports outlining findings.
- Advises on fire protection and other loss control measures.
- Manages implementation of loss control recommendations.
- Maintains COPE information on all insured properties and provides input to Risk Manager on Statement of Values.
- Prepares loss control reports for insurance renewals.
- Manages third party visits with loss control representatives from insurance companies and brokers.
- Assesses new construction for loss potential and suggests risk-mitigating modifications to specifications or designs.
- Identifies and evaluates potential risks in mergers and acquisitions.
- Maintains and develops knowledge of technical developments and changes to fire and building codes.
- Assists facilities with the development of workplace safety programs.
- Develops fleet safety and driver training programs.
- Assists facilities with maintaining compliance with EPA, DOT, OSHA, and other regulatory agencies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of loss prevention codes (NFPA, FM, API, ASME, etc.), standards and industry practices.
- Knowledge of environmental health and safety standards for workplace safety. (WA L&I,, OSHA)
- Good understanding of the insurance industry and principles of underwriting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to observe situations, identify weaknesses, and propose solutions.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field such as Occupational Safety and Health, Engineering, Science, or Business Administration required.
- At least five years of related experience required with a record of good underwriting and loss control recommendations.
- Certification by at least one professional organization in the risk management field (such as CSP, ASP, ALCM, or ARM) preferred.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Must be able and willing to travel to various locations in WA, OR, and ID.
- Must be able to traverse various facilities to assess risks.