Looking for a career at OPC’s Family of Companies? See below for a list of current positions available.
The Payroll Supervisor will oversee and supervise the organizations payroll functions, ensuring that pay is processed on time, accurately, and in compliance with government regulations.
- Recruits, interviews, hires, and trains new staff in the department.
- Oversees the daily workflow of the department.
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Oversees procedures and processes and manages inquiries and requests related to preparation and distribution of various payrolls.
- Processes payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
- Responsible for the coordination efforts between payroll, human resources, finance/accounting and other departments to ensure proper flow and maintenance of employee data (including preparation/distribution of detailed reports, e.g. labor” home” work, overtime, leave balances, head count, and various reports)
- Handle the administration of the electronic timekeeping system. Setup each employee, valid programs for each employee’s charges, and adherence to FLSA; monitor submissions of approved timesheets, ensure valid data transfers to/from payroll service
- Establish/maintain employee records; ensure that employee changes are entered correctly and made on a timely basis; review changes for proper authorization and adherence to APA policy including compliance with federal/state/local regulations
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- Prepares reports and taxes for weekly, quarterly and yearly filings and reporting.
- Facilitates audits by providing records and documentation to auditors.
- Identifies and recommends updates to payroll software, systems, and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Proficient with payroll software.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Human Resources, or related field required.
- Four years of experience in payroll processing with two years in a supervisory or management role preferred.
- Experience with multi-state tax jurisdictions.
Director of Logistics
Directors of logistics take responsibility for ensuring that goods get where they need to be on time and in an efficient manner. To this end, much of the job involves keeping track of timetables and costs. They are responsible for the day-to-day operations of the logistics department, as well as expected to be strategic planners involved in helping the company progress. Traveling to manufacturing plants or distribution centers can be part of the job. To be successful in this role, the individual should have at least 8 years of logistics experience and possess a strong background in the following areas:
- Working with manufacturing partners to ensure products are delivered on time in a cost effective manner while complying with customer requirements.
- Managing the warehousing and storage activities of the Company while maintaining compliance with shipping/freight requirements of retail and distribution partners.
- Negotiation of rates with common carrier representatives.
- Knowledge/Relationships with national and regional over the road freight carriers.
- Knowledge/Relationships with national and regional rail service providers.
- Experience with Export/Import.
- Knowledge/Relationships with public warehouse providers and warehouse management systems.
- Strong Analytic skills
- Solid negotiation experience with transportation and warehouse contracts
Director of Logistics Duties and Responsibilities
As they work to ensure clients receive what they need on time every time while also advancing the objectives of their own company, directors of logistics perform a variety of tasks:
- Managing Budgets: Within a company, a certain amount of money is budgeted for logistics (getting items where they need to be). Directors of logistics keep a careful eye on costs. Making ends meet might involve finding cheaper ways to transport items or cutting back on staff.
- Overseeing Staff: Many different people are involved in logistics. The director of logistics watches their activities to make sure operations flow smoothly, instructs accordingly, and motivates them to perform. He or she also may be responsible for recruiting and hiring new workers.
- Scouting for Inefficiencies: A good director of logistics always is on the lookout for ways to improve the transportation process. For instance, redesigning how a warehouse is arranged may make it easier for loads to be placed into trucks – cutting down on the time needed to fill a vehicle.
- Maintaining Relationships: Directors of logistics work closely with various people both inside and outside of the company. They may seek feedback from customers to ensure their satisfaction. They negotiate with vendors to get the best rates possible on materials and moving services.
- Monitoring Inventory: Companies make money when they sell products. They want enough on hand to meet the demands of buyers but not so many that goods sit too long in warehouses. Directors of logistics evaluate numbers to strike that delicate balance. They may move merchandise from one location to another as needed to get things in the hands of those requesting them.
Director of Logistics Skills
- Directors of logistics are problem solvers capable of using their analytic skills to develop solutions. They also need outstanding organizational skills to deal with the multitude of people and issues they encounter every day. Other great abilities for directors of logistics to possess include:
- Displaying calmness under pressure since the job frequently involves stressful situations
- Attending to detail so that mistakes aren’t made and operations thrown off course
- Prioritizing to make sure the most pressing issues get accomplished first
- Communicating clearly in both oral and written form
- Negotiating skillfully to arrive at agreements that benefit the company
Director of Logistics Tools of the trade:
- Enterprise resource planning (ERP) software – business process management software, such as Microsoft Dynamics AX, that can automate many tasks
- Database management software – information management tool, such as Microsoft Access, that assists with the storage of data for reference and analysis
- Spreadsheets – detailed profiles of financial or production activity, often composed and edited in Microsoft Excel
- Inventory control software – used to track orders and control stock
- Supply chain – everything involved in moving a product from supplier to customer
Director of Logistics Education and Training/Experience
Candidates for director of logistics positions generally hold a bachelor’s degree, oftentimes in a field such as transportation, business, or supply chain management. Looking for a candidate with at least 8 years of professional logistics experience.
The Payroll Clerk will process weekly/bi-weekly payroll and maintain employee time records.
- Enters, maintains, and/or processes information in the payroll system; information may include employees hourly rates, piece rates, paid leave and holidays, deductions and withholding, address changes, and other information.
- Ensures proper processing of payroll deductions for taxes, benefits, charitable contributions, and other deductions.
- Issues, or reissues, physical or replacement checks due to payroll errors or final discharge.
- Establish/maintain employee records; ensure that employee changes are entered correctly and made on a timely basis;
- Processes garnishments and submits to the state
- Maintains L&I reports and submits to WA Dept of Labor and Industries
- Maintains OSHA Records
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Proficient with or the ability to quickly learn payroll software.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Two years of experience in accounting or bookkeeping with at least six months of experience in payroll preferred.
This position is responsible, under the direction of the Plant Manager, for policies and programs relating to personnel, staff development, employee recruitment, wage & salary administration, and maintaining effective means of communications between local management and employees. The HR Manager is also responsible for the oversight of benefits administration, labor scheduling, training, and payroll functions within the plant. This position must ensure compliance with all applicable state and federal regulations.
Located in Pasco, Washington, this processing plant is a vegetable processing facility which produces Roasted Vegetables, Mashed Potatoes, Dehydrofrozen Potatoes and Corn.
In addition, the individual in this position must demonstrate initiative, creativity and be self-motivated; along with having the ability to train others when needed. Work relationships and communication are key ingredients to the success of the individual holding this position.
- Responsible for recruitment, hiring, and retention of a qualified workforce; create job descriptions, interview process, and selection recommendations to management. Advise location’s management in the maintenance of employment procedures and practices at local levels designed to attract qualified employees for plant and administrative positions.
- Coordinates wage & salary administration with Plant managers and the Corporate Office; sees that wages and salaries are maintained at competitive area levels and that such wage and salary programs are administered soundly; makes recommendations to the management staff on salary ranges for plant and administrative personnel. Update hourly wage brackets and salary pay grades accordingly.
- Advise managers and supervisory personnel on a case by case basis regarding progressive discipline procedures. Monitor all probations and involuntary terminations.
- Responsible for any required personnel reporting, including the annual EEO-1 report.
- Coordinate and supervise the company’s use of external employment sources and programs.
- Responsible for the administration and information of fringe benefits, including but not limited to insurance, vacations, paid holidays, and education assistance programs.
- Establish and maintains open communications lines between all staff levels and Corporate Office. Provide access to management for hourly and non-supervisory personnel. Act as mediator with employee relations issues or instances of internal policies non-compliance.
- Develops a proactive and professional HR Department and staff. Assures proper implementation and delivery of benefits administration, labor scheduling, training, and payroll functions by subordinates.
- Coordinates employee performance management program including appraisals for hourly and salaried employees.
- Assists in the development and administration of internal training programs for supervisors and hourly personnel.
- Develops and maintains various reports for management actions (e.g., recruiting/manning, labor, discipline, turnover/retention, etc.).
- Researches and analyzes changes in Human Resource laws, regulations, trends, and pertinent information in the field. Keep informed on laws and regulations affecting conditions of employment and employee relations and collaborate with appropriate committees and Corporate Office on any related policies and/or practices.
- Ensures fair and consistent administration of company policies.
- Ensures self and all HR staff are performing in an efficient, effective and safe manner.
- Ensures communication and interface with support departments is carried out in a participative and professional manner, that is conducive with operational goals.
- Conducts oneself in a professional manner, ensures confidentiality regarding sensitive issues and consistently adheres to the standards necessary to successfully perform the job functions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience Required – Bachelors Degree (B.A. or B.S.) from four-year college or university plus three years related experience and/or training, OR equivalent combination of education, experience, and skills needed to successfully perform the essential job functions.
- Highly competent knowledge level of Human Resources regulations, policies, procedures, and practices is essential.
- In-depth knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations including, but not limited to: ADA, EEO, FLSA, FMLA, HIPAA, I-9’s, OSHA, and related matters.
- Proficient understanding of Company policies and regulations concerning personnel, safety, security, and employee handbooks.
- Possess highly effective analytical, negotiation, managerial, and problem solving skills.
- Possess intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office skills.
- Proficient with basic math skills.
- Strong communication skills, including facilitation with teams and/or large groups, and direct interface with customers.
- Ability to make quick and effective decisions in line with the plant goals and objectives.
- Ability to supervise others by demonstrating coaching and leadership skills. Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and apply them effectively.
- Ability to demonstrate strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, to manage tasks, delegate, lead groups, and work with people from various functions/ departments
- Ability to maintain an acceptable attendance and safety record.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with diverse staff in order to accomplish Plant goals and objectives.
- Ability to effectively work on multiple assignments, while responding to frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
- Bilingual Skills (English/Spanish) are desired.
- PHR/SPHR certificate preferred.
This position directs and coordinates the entire Quality Assurance lab to ensure consistent quality production of all products in compliance with Company and customer standards and Federal/State regulations in a cost effective manner. Supervises QC and Microbiological staff to evaluate and certify the quality of processed/packaged product. Assists, organizes and audits product quality and food safety programs throughout entire process. Oversees complete and accurate recordkeeping of all facets of the quality program. Monitors production methods, in-process product quality, product risk-management and product safety. Investigates and responds to customer complaints as directed by sales department. Procures departmental equipment, supplies and parts. Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Duties (Role Priorities, Position Responsibilities):
- Direct and supervise the quality grading lab, receiving lab and microbiological lab for all raw/ processed/packaged vegetable and fruit products to assure specifications are met within the desired levels of productivity, safety and quality.
- Responsible for implementation, review and maintenance of the Quality Program.
- Develops, reviews and maintains all QC specifications for accuracy and complete information.
- Develops, reviews and maintains Quality Systems Manual, updating documentation within required frequencies.
- Receives and reviews all quality control records. Maintains proper filing for data recall.
- Develops and updates all grading procedures and specifications used by lab technicians.
- Schedules and participates in audits by government, buyers and independent agencies.
- Conducts and initiates inspections of all plant areas for sanitation and safety purposes under HACCP guidelines.
- Responsible for acquiring equipment/supplies for QC.
- Completes requests by Sales Department in a timely fashion.
- Works with customers to complete supplier document requirements.
- Serves as HACCP Team Coordinator.
- Serves on the Safety and Food Safety Committees.
- Maintains files on waste water and drinking well water analysis required by government agencies, review results and match with invoicing from existing vendors engaged in these activities.
- Monitors completion of job assignments to ensure compliance with standards and instructions and revises instructions and time frames as necessary.
- Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others fully and accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems.
- Ensures that needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees in the QA departments are provided.
- Trains seasonal as well as full time QA workers.
- Ensures compliance and complies with Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), federal, state and local regulations.
- Ensures compliance and complies with GMP, SQF and company guidelines to produce a safe and quality product.
- Helps maintain general cleanliness of all departmental areas.
- Monitors inventories and distribute all such items to staff.
- Attends meetings, conferences, workshops and training sessions and reviews publications and audio-visual materials to become and remain current on the principles, practices and new developments in assigned work areas.
- Communicates and coordinates regularly with appropriate others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- Other duties as assigned.
Acceptable Experience and Training
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from 4-year College or university in food science or related field preferred. Working knowledge of statistics, statistical process control, quality standards, production methods, microbiology, food processing and USDA grading standards for onions. Must possess strong mathematical, verbal and written communication skills as well as human relation skills, leadership, coaching, participative management style. Previous supervisory experience and strong management education and/or developed and demonstrated skills which include planning, organizing, goal setting, controlling, self-development, decision making and presentation skills a must. Ability to speak Spanish a plus.
Required Special Qualifications
- Ability to read and write English;
- The ability to pass drug screen test;
- Possession of a valid location specific State Driver’s license;
- Thorough knowledge of USDA grading standards;
- HACCP certified;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Ability to prepare and present accurate and reliable reports containing findings and recommendations;
- Ability to operate a personal computer using standard or customized software applications appropriate to assigned tasks;
- Ability to evaluate or develop policies, procedures and processes to ensure the department functions effectively;
- Ability to use logical and creative thought processes to develop solutions according to written specifications and/or oral instructions;
- Ability to perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and skill under the pressure of production environment and time sensitive deadlines to effectively manage down time situations;
- Ability and willingness to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology;
- Integrity, ingenuity and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks;
- Skill in reading and writing English sufficient to read and write policies, procedures, reports or logs;
- Ability to keep detailed records as required;
- Ability to effectively communicate with others, both orally and in writing, using both technical and non-technical language;
- Ability to interact with other personnel (coworkers, supervisors, etc.) in a respectful, considerate manner to satisfactorily perform essential duties required of this position and not to inhibit others from performing their essential duties;
- Must demonstrate leadership qualities;
- Ability to supervise, train, coordinate and evaluate the work of others;
- Possess or have the ability to develop thorough knowledge of company policies and procedures and the ability to work within these guidelines;
- Assists in, or recommends hiring or department transfers;
- Must be able to work any shift and overtime as required